Take a guided tour of Howe Caverns in Howe Caves, New York, and explore the corridors, riverbeds, minerals and more. Four tours are offered, including the Traditional Tour, the Lantern Tour, the Adventure Tour, and the Sunday Family Flashlight Tour. Overnight and birthday packages are also offered. Additional fun can be had seasonally via the zip lines, ropes course, rock wall and air jumper.
Tours start from $25 for adults and teens (16 to 64), $21 for juniors (12 to 15) and $13 for children (5 to 11); kids ages 4 and under are free. The Caverns are open year-round, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Friday through Sunday between Nov. 1 and March 31; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Friday through Monday between April 1 and Memorial Day Weekend; 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., daily from Memorial Day to Labor Day; and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Friday through Monday between Labor Day and Halloween.
Before you visit Howe Caverns with your family, consider these five tips:
– Wear a jacket; it’s a constant 52 degrees Fahrenheit underground.
– The caves are well-lit during the traditional tour, so don’t worry about buying one of those colorful kids’ mining helmets in the gift shop; unless you really want to!
– If your kids are more adventurous (and 5 years or older), there is a Family Flashlight Tour offered on Sundays. That’s when you would need the helmet.
– While the cave tour is open year-round, if you go any time Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend, leave time to experience the Howe High Adventure attractions above ground. They include a four-tower, 900-foot long zip line, the Sky Trail ropes course and 12-foot inflatable H2OGO balls.
– There’s an onsite cafÃ© with yummy homemade entrees like mac and cheese and meatloaf. There’s also a Sweet Shop with homemade fudge in several amazing flavors, like peanut butter and pumpkin. Be sure to stop for lunch and for sweet souvenirs!