by Hilarey Wojtowicz
The Glacier Bay Country Inn offers families 10 guestrooms and cabins in Gustavus, Alaska. Enjoy queen beds, free Wi-Fi, cable TV and and DVD players.
Onsite activities include hiking, biking and outdoor adventures across the 164 acres surrounding the Inn. Fishing and water sports are also nearby, as is Glacier Bay National Park.
Enjoy a complimentary breakfast each morning at the Inn’s onsite restaurant and then ask them to pack you a lunch for the day’s activities. Stop back for dinner in the evening and enjoy seafood, steak, locally grown vegetables and more.
Our Editor Loves
- Complimentary breakfast
- Free Wi-Fi
- Cabins with DVD players
- Free Breakfast
- Free Wi-Fi
- Onsite Dining
by Greg S
What it's not;
- It's not the Four Seasons
- It's not a generic hotel experience with all the creature comforts and familiar surroundings you expect in the lower 48. There is no Starbuck's, Denny's or Circle K across the street, no Uber Eats, no endless blacktop, sidewalks, walls, streetlights, manicured lawns, leaf blowers, crowds of people, etc. The lodge is on the outskirts of the town of Gustavus, with the term 'town' used loosely (Gustavus is home to 300 hardy residents, and has a runway, a ferry dock, about 5 miles of total paved roadway, two stop signs, one bar/restaurant, one fuel station, no grocery store, no police dept., etc.)
What it is;
- The Glacier Bay Country Inn is a charming, rustic lodge located at what feels to be the furthest edge of civilization, within arguably the most spectacular natural setting found in Alaska, with pristine bays, rivers and lakes, incredibly rich forests, and snowcapped peaks.
- It is an immersive experience into the wilds of Alaska. Whether venturing out via boat or on foot, you will experience nature as never before- pure, intense, untouched by man, stuff straight out of a National Geographic documentary. In addition to jaw-dropping scenery, during my trip I was fortunate to witness extensive wildlife, including moose, black and coastal brown bears, thousands of spawning salmon swimming up the shallows of rivers, bald eagles, numerous humpback whales, a pod of orcas, seals, sea lions, otters all over the bays, dolphin, the list goes on.
- It is a comfortable and pampered lodging experience. The cabins are clean & cozy, the food is all scratch-made and first rate (props to Chef Wisconny Johnny!), the staff are incredibly personable and attentive to your every need, and the family who owns/operates the lodge are the friendliest, sweetest people you will meet. Rather than being just another guest at a hotel, I was treated like extended family during my stay.
This was an extremely memorable, special Alaska experience, and I will definitely return again!
This was one of the most amazing trips I have ever experienced. The cabins at the Glacier Bay Country Inn were comfortable and great for a good night’s rest. The restaurant was outstanding. The staff of the Glacier Bay Country Inn really took care of us and cared for our needs. The deep-sea fishing for halibut was great and the fishing for salmon was out of this world! Alaska is so beautiful and the Glacier Bay Country Inn is a wonderful place to stay!