Walt Disney World in Florida and Disneyland in California officially launched into the summer season with its special 24-hour celebration beginning this morning at 6 a.m. The parks will be open today for 24 straight hours and be filled with special events.
The celebration is extra special this year at Disneyland, which officially turns 60 on July 17. To kick off summer, the Diamond Anniversary party includes:
– A Diamond Mad T Party at California Adventure with the Alice in Wonderland characters and a DJ-led dance party.
– A Paint the Night Parade down Disneyland’s Main Street with 1.5 million LED lights and 80 dancers wearing lighted costumes.
– A re-imagined World of Color show at California Adventure narrated by Neil Patrick Harris paying homage to Walt Disney.
– A new Disneyland fireworks show featuring projection-mapping technology to light up the sky as well as surrounding buildings.
At the Magic Kingdom, special events for its Coolest Summer Ever include:
– Festival of Fantasy Parades on Main Street featuring Disney Channel and Disney XD stars as Grand Marshalls in parades taking place at 12 and 3 p.m.
– Move It! Shake It! Dance It! Play It! Street Party dance taking place at 5:40 p.m.
– Tomorrowland’s Club Chill featuring a DJ-led dance party from 4 to 11 p.m., with special guest appearances by Disney Channel and Disney XD stars. The party will feature previews for the new Disney movies “Descendants,” “Teen Beach 2” and “Tomorrowland,” which opens tomorrow.
– Additional dance parties in Frontierland and Cinderella’s Castle at 2 a.m.
– “Frozen” characters appearances before the Main Street Electrical Parade at 11 p.m. and 1 a.m.
Visitors began lining up last night for the special day, and Disney expects reaching capacity and having to close its doors by this afternoon, so be sure to go early if you’re planning to join the party. The party ends at 6 a.m. Saturday.
Our team of parents and travel experts chooses each product and service we recommend. Anything you purchase through links on our site may earn us a commission.