by Hilarey Wojtowicz
Rent one of the 11 cabins at Northern Lights Resort & Outfitting, all of which can sleep multiple families, and really enjoy a vacation near the Voyageurs National Park. Cabins come with complimentary Internet and full kitchens and are outfitted with everything you need — sheets, towels, etc. Pets are allowed and there is free parking. The cabins come with multiple bedrooms, multiple bathrooms and can sleep up to 16 people. Some have fireplaces, hot tubs and decks. The resort offers an onsite game room and children’s activities for kids between 5 and 17 years, such as ice cream socials, fishing trips and hikes. The lake area has water sports and floating trampolines for even more fun in the water. There is no onsite dining, but the resort is close to restaurants and eateries for families.
Our Editor Loves
- Large cabins that sleep up to 16
- Water sports and scheduled activities for kids
- Children Programs
- Family Room 5+
- Game Room
by Scott G
Clean cabins, well appointed and beautiful views. Great fishing and a wonderful vacation. It made the 11 hour drive well worth it. The people at the resort were very helpful and really good at their jobs.
We stayed in the Yellowstone Loft; unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate for our 3 days. That being said, we enjoyed some down time in the loft. We enjoyed getting some DVD's from the lodge and watching them at night. As the water was too rough to canoe, we did some hiking in the area including a nice surprise hike at the campground that isn't in the National Park brochures.
- The overall space and linens were clean; kitchen and refrigerator were clean.
- Do NOT rent the Yellowstone Loft if you are tall or clumsy - there are a lot of sloped ceilings. We did fine, but could see where others would have issues.
- In the Yellowstone Loft, you can hear the voices of the space below (they most likely can hear you too) - it was most obvious in the bedroom.
- I wasn't a huge fan of the shower as it was a bit dark with no light. The tub in the loft takes some time to fill, and we couldn't exactly figure out the drain, but it was nice.
- The varnish on the kitchen table was wearing - worked best to put something down on it (placemats, etc.) to avoid the 'sticky'.
- The lodge does have a 'closing time' where they lock the door; other doors have no locks.
- There is a nice beach area and canoes/kayaks/other features for water use.
- Bring food...and condiments. The refrigerator was empty. We enjoyed the use of all of the pots/pans/toaster/coffee pot in the kitchen (the lodge area has a pizza oven). I wish I would have brought frozen cookie dough - it would have been perfect for the small oven.
- The local corner store does have a select variety of items - just nothing as big as a grocery store would.
- While there is Wifi, they ask you not to stream; I used the Wifi a couple times to log into email/weather. There is a password. We enjoyed the radio in the dining area - the Canadian station came in crystal clear.
Enjoy! We would definitely stay again!