Pennington, NJ – January 16, 2013 – Families kick off the new year by starting their vacation planning, according to Family Vacation Critic(R), an online family travel planning guide, which reports that January is the peak month for family-vacation related searches.*
“We’re seeing parents researching their spring and summer breaks immediately after the holidays. In fact, the first day of January was a very popular day for family vacation planning,” says Lissa Poirot, editor of Family Vacation Critic. “With spring break just a few months away, it’s important to move quickly to secure accommodations, especially if you’re looking for a family room or suite, as these are often the first to be booked.”
To help narrow down the choices, Family Vacation Critic offers this list of the top family vacations for 2013, based on family-friendly appeal and recent additions:
1. Amelia Island, FL: With 13 miles of beaches, this barrier island has a rich history and laid-back, outdoorsy vibe. In the spring of 2013, the Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort will unveil its massive $85-million renovation.
2. Montreal: Montreal’s cobblestone streets, marvelous boutiques and creperies make it the ideal destination for those looking for a distinct change of pace. Kids will love the Biodome and La Ronde, the second-largest amusement park in Canada.
3. Bahamas: Convenient, relatively affordable, and teeming with activities for kids, the Bahamas is always a popular choice for families. Princess Cruise Line’s new ship, Royal Princess, begins sailing in 2013, and will stop in the Bahamas on its maiden Caribbean voyage in October.
4. Park City, UT: A visit to the 400-acre Utah Olympic Park, a venue for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games, is a must. Widely known as a hotspot for skiers, families can trade in their skis for hiking boots and bikes in the summer and explore miles of biking and hiking trails.
5. Galveston Island, TX: Galveston Island offers families tranquil beaches, the 242-acre Moody Gardens, and Schlitterbahn Waterpark. The historic Pleasure Pier reopened in 2012 with major renovations after being damaged by Hurricane Ike in 2008.
Additional destinations to make the list include San Diego, CA; Nantucket, MA; Alaska cruises; Turks and Caicos and the Jersey Shore, NJ.
For the full list and details, visit the 10 Best Vacation Bets for 2013.
* Data gathered using Google Trends.
About Family Vacation Critic
Family Vacation Critic(R) is a comprehensive online travel resource for families that offers reviews of family hotels, resorts and destinations. The site features vacation ideas, family travel tips and an online forum for family travelers. Family Vacation Critic is published by The Independent Traveler, Inc., a subsidiary of TripAdvisor, Inc.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP) manages and operates websites under 19 other travel media brands, and together the sites attract more than 74 million unique monthly visitors.* TripAdvisor, Inc.’s travel media brands include www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.everytrail.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.independenttraveler.com, www.onetime.com, www.seatguru.com, www.sniqueaway.com, stage.smartertravel.com, www.tingo.com, www.travel-library.com, www.travelpod.com, www.virtualtourist.com, www.whereivebeen.com, and www.kuxun.cn.
*Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor, Inc. and its subsidiaries, Worldwide, July 2012
Family Vacation Critic and The Independent Traveler are either trademarks or registered trademarks of TripAdvisor, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. TripAdvisor is a trademark of TripAdvisor, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
(C) 2013 The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our team of parents and travel experts chooses each product and service we recommend. Anything you purchase through links on our site may earn us a commission.