by Terry Ward
Located just 15 minutes from Lihue Airport, the Hotel Coral Reef is a boutique hotel offering comfortable accommodations for you and your family. The rooms are equipped with plush queen or king beds and flat screen TVs. You can enjoy the complimentary breakfast and take advantage of the outdoor seating. Gas BBQs are available for use, and the hotel features a private lagoon pool with a tropical waterfall. The hotel has direct access to Kauai’s coastal bike path, where guests can use complimentary bicycles. The grounds feature beautifully manicured lawns as well as local flowers and perfect sunset views.
The hotel is just steps away from the beach, where you can enjoy a variety of tours and water sports. There are several restaurants nearby, as well as the town park. With diving and snorkeling tours, spas and kayak adventures, you will be able to find activities for everyone in your family.
Our Editor Loves
- Lagoon pool with waterfall
- Steps away from the beach
- Complimentary bicycles
- Water Sports
- Free Breakfast
- Free Wi-Fi
- Onsite Dining
- Generally excellent "family" service with few exceptions.
- Centrally located for visits to both north and south shore sites.
- Rooms all ocean fronted -- with great sunrise views.
- Easy access to town amenities.
- Small beach.
- Scenic ocean front bike/walking path for several miles along beach past hotel.
- Older facilities although somewhat updated.
- Marginal maintenance in some areas..
- Rooms tend to be a bit cramped and dark.
- "Creative" room wiring/switches. Takes a while to figure out.
- Don't expect to find a lot of places to plug in your electronics.
- Small beach.
- Be prepared for roosters crowing at all hours of day and night.
- Try the family's homemade banana bread at breakfast.
It was just what I needed to recoup from the loss of my husband. My room faced the ocean. Palm trees swayed in the wind and my oanoramic view saw sunrise and sunset. I was on the second floor. My room needed updating, but it was clean, comfortable. Perfect for one person. I had a terrace to sit and read or nap or what ever. The continental breakfast was juice, coffee, tea,water,, granola, yogurt, bread for toast, homemade banana bread. I would have liked some fruit, but I was walking distance to a market and bought fruit. For those who want to know if you have to have a rental car, the answer is no, if you are used to walking . I walked almost everywhere. I got a free shuttle to my luau and I ordered a cab to my grotto river tour $20. Their bus system goes all around the island and costs $2. I also rode a bike around town that was supplied by the hotel at no cost. I was very pleased with the service and friendly/ helpful staff. I also treated myself to a massage that was done in a cabana on the hotel grounds. Had an excellent time and looking forward to a return visit. They say the 3rd floor ( new )rooms are larger.